The theater is open for free during the opening hours of ticket office or by appointment by calling 051 6928244.
Telephone: +39 051 6928244
FAX: +39 051 801300
INFOLINE: +39 051 801300
Theatre was founded in the 17th century as a private theatre in a bourgeois house, Casa Sgarzi. Throughout the 19th century, it quite regularly presented shows, particularly in the periods of carnival and the festival of San Lorenzo.
During the First World War, it was used as a military barracks and deposit for lime-flowers. From 1920 onwards, it was also used as a cinema and hosted rallies and assemblies: regular speakers here included Quirico Filopanti, Andrea Costa and Aurelio Saffi.
Built between 1924 and 1928, the new theatre is bell-shaped, with two galleries supported by slender cast-iron pillars, and a third central terrace. The sober polychromatic and golden decorations, in neo-Classical style, are the work of the painter Armando Aldrovandi. It was inaugurated on the 6th October 1928 with a performance of "La Gioconda" by Ponchielli.
With the dissolution of the "Partecipanza" in 1932, the theatre passed into the hands of the local council. Still today it offers rich seasons of prose works, ballets, opera and concerts; in 2005, it hosted the Mozart Orchestra conducted by Claudio Abbado.
Source: local Staff Pianura Bolognese