Places

A. Saffi Square

Forlì - Piazza A. Saffi

A. Saffi Square

ENTRANCE

Free

HOURS

Always open

Contacts

Telephone: +39 0543 712435
MOBILE: +39 0543 712435
FAX: +39 0543 712755
www.turismoforlivese.it

 

Aurelio Saffi is the main square, synthesis of the cultural heritage of the city, and takes you into the heart of Forlì with visits to some of the highlights of this delightful city. The Piazza is among the most notable in Italy for its width and for the austere beauty of the historic buildings that surround it. It has a trapezoidal shape with an average length of 128 metres and width of 87 metres. In the middle of the square facing the large area of the older Campo dell’Abate, once belonged to the Abbot of San Mercuriale church, stands the monument to Aurelio Saffi (1819-1890), statesman of renown and triumvir of the Roman Republic of 1849. On the southern side stands the Abbey of San Mercuriale and its adjoining Cloister, a single complex whose current appearance dates back to alterations carried out over the centuries. The church, which has very ancient origins, was built on the remnants of a former Parish Church from the 6th century dedicated to Saint Stephen. Destroyed in 1173 by a fierce fire burst out during a violent fight between the Guelfs and the Ghibellines, it was rebuilt between 1176 and 1181 in the Roman-Lombard style. On the right side, the Lombard belfry (1180) rises to a height of 72 metres and is surmounted by a cone-shaped spire. The Gothic portal of rose stone features a high-relief decorated lunette portraying the Adoration of the Kings (13th century), attributed to the Master Dei Mesi of Ferrara. Particularly praiseworthy is the central part of the façade crowned with small brick arches supported by light stone columns. Attached to the church is the 15th century Cloister of the Vallombrosian monks, which was repeatedly restored because of the wear and tear of time. The cloister, originally closed and reopened on both sides in 1944, houses at its centre a well from the 17th century. The interior of the church shows the wide and sober proportions of the basilicas with a nave and two brick aisles. Leaning against the right wall is the Sepulchral Monument of Barbara Manfredi (approx. 1466), by Francesco, son of Simone Ferrucci from Fiesole: beautifully designed and carved in high-relief, it is considered to be one of the finest examples of Forlì artistic heritage. The chapel on the right hand side houses a significant works of art, "the Madonna with Child and Saint John and Saint Catherine" by Marco Palmezzano. Worth of note is the left aisle the Ferri Archway in Istrian stone (1536), elegantly decorated with ornaments and Lombard grotesques; above the altar is an altarpiece representing the Immaculate Conception with Saint Augustine, Saint Anselm and Saint Steven by Marco Palmezzano.

 

Source: local Staff Forlì

Tags

Focus On