Entry price: € 4.00
Reduced: € 3.5 to 18 years and over 65 years of age.
Museum: Feb to May, Sept to Nov: Tue - Fri: 14-18.30, upon request, Sat - Sun: 15:30 to 18:30. June to July: Tue - Fri: 14-18.30 on request; 15:30 to 18:30 Sat, Sun 17-21. From 1 to 20 Dec: Tue - Fri: 9-13 and 14-16.30 on request
Telephone: +39 0543 469213
FAX: +39 0543 444588
In 1177, in a period when the castle was the bone of contention between the Emperor and the Pope, the emperor Frederick Barbarossa stayed there for some months. The fortress later became first the residence of the papal governors of Romagna in the 13th and 14th centuries and then the residence of the Malatesta family until 1465. It was then owned by Caterina Sforza and Cesare Borgia and it later became the bishop' s residence until the end of the 16th century, thus being saved from degradation. With the arrival of Napoleon in Italy, the fortress was abandoned again for more than 10 years, until in 1817 the Diocese was restored. It was then renovated and in 1986, following the unification of the Dioceses of Forlì and Bertinoro, the fortress stopped being the bishop's seat after four centuries. Since 1994 it has been housing the University Residential Centre. Today, postgraduate vocational training courses, seminars, conventions, and many cultural events are held there every year. Moreover, since 2005 its ancient cellars and water tanks have been housing the Museo Interreligioso.
Source: local Staff Forlì-Cesena