For tours in the bell tower: € 1 per person for the insurance.
The bell tower can be visited only if you book in advance.
Telephone: +39 0543 25653
FAX: +39 0543 39868
The original church was destroyed by a fire in 1173; the new abbey was built up again in 1181. It is a Romanesque-Lombard church. The Gothic portal in pink stone is over-hanged by the famous lunette decorated with the bas-relief depicting the adoration of the Magi and assigned to Maestro dei Mesi from Ferrara.
The top part of the facade is decorated with brick little arches supported by slim stony columns; this construction has a important architectonic value.
The Bell tower was projected by Francesco Deddi. It is in Lombard style. Its construction was over in 1180. It is 75mt. high and it is in bricks. Connected to the church rises the XV century cloister; it has a rectangular shape. Originally it was closed, while in 1941 two sides had been opened. In the centre of the cloister there is a XVII century fountain.
In the inside there are a nave and two aisles. Barbara Manfredi's sarcophagus is located at the beginning of the right aisle. She was Pino Ordelaffi's wife and she died when she was only 22 (in 1466). The sarcophagus was sculpted by Simone Ferrucci from Fiesole. The shape and the excellence of the decorations made this sarcophagus become one of the most important works of art in Forlì. On the right-side chapel there are the paintings portraying Mary with her baby and the Saints Giovanni and Caterina by Marco Palmezzano. In S. Mercuriale's chapel, right on the altar there is a painting depicting Mary with her baby together with the S. Mercuriale and S. Gerolamo by Passignano. On the right side of the chapel there is a painting portraying S. Mercuriale returning from Jerusalem by Santi di Tito, while on the left side there is a representation of S. Mercuriale killing the dragon by Cigoli. In the presbytery on the right side it is possible to admire "The visitation" by Baldassarre Carrari, while on the left "Mary and the Saints" by Michele Bertucci. On the left aisle rises "Ferri" arch (1536); it was built in Istrian stone and decorated by elegant Lombard ornaments and grotesqueries. "The Immaculate Conception with the saints Agostino, Anselmo and Stefano" (1509) by Marco Palmezzano is located on the main altar.
Source: local Staff of Forlì