Open daily 7.30-12 and 16-19
Telephone: +39 0523 070824
Its construction started in 1122 finished in 1233. Its got simple and majestic traits at the same time, and is characterized by an austere elegance.
The hut façade, made of sandstone and pink marble, is characterized by two buttresses and blind galleries with mullions. There are three portals, surmounted by prothyra and decorated with sculptured architraves, one of which carried out by pupils of Wiligelmo and Nicolò.
Inside, the medieval sculptured niches,the wonderful frescoes by Camillo Procaccini and Ludovico Carracci (XIV-XVI century) and the dome with frescoes by Giovanni Francesco Barbieri called Guercino (1627) are worth of notice.
The crypt, decorated with 108 romanesque mullions, preserves Santa Giustinas relics.
Illuminazione della parte absidale e cupola a gettoniera. Guida artistica-storica a gettoniera. Disponibile guida completa "Il Duomo di Piacenza" in Sagrestia.
Source: local Staff of Piacenza