Entry price: € 6.00
red. 4 € - free with the Rimini City Pass
Weekday: Tuesday to Saturday 16 June to 15 September: 9.30-13 / 16:30 to 19:30. September 16-June 15: 8.30-13 / 16-19. Holidays: 16 June to 15 September 16:30 to 19:30, September 16-June 15: 10-12.30 and 15-19.
Telephone: +39 0541 21482
FAX: +39 0541 28692
INFOLINE: +39 0541 704421
Beside it there is the Jesuit monastery (1746-1755) designed by an architect from Bologna, Alfonso Torreggiani.
From 1797 to 1977 it was used as a hospital, first military and then civil, and it now houses the City Museum, with numerous exhibits of local historical-artistic heritage. The course, which will be completed once the building is fully restored, follows chronological criteria from the formation of the territory to the current day.
There are more than 1500 works on display in 40 galleries on a total of 3,000 square metres. The number of exhibits is going to increase because new sections are scheduled to be opened.
On the ground floor there is an area dedicated to Renè Gruau, a famous contemporary fashion designer from Rimini, deceased in March 2004.
In the garden-courtyard there is a Roman Lapidary, which contains an epigraphic collection of about one hundred Roman inscriptions.
In 2010 was opened the new part of the Archaeological Section situated in the ancient cellar of the Museum. An exhibition on the extraordinary story of Rimini, from prehistory to the end of Late Antiquity. The archaeological section continues on the ground floor, dedicated to the Imperial Rimini between the II and III century, with exhibition of splendid mosaics from the domus Diotallevi palace, as well as sculptures, ceramics, plaster decorations, coins, glass items, bronzes and last but not least the exceptional exhibition of the surgical instrument equipment from the "Domus del Chirurgo" in Piazza Ferrari. The archaeological section gives a view of Rimini from its origins to the Middle Ages, presenting a flourishing and peaceful city during the Roman Empire, a period which was tragically interrupted by the first barbarian invasions.
The first and second floors house the Pinacoteca picture gallery with works dating from the Municipal era to 1900 including masterpieces from the fourteenth century Rimini school.
On the first floor there are frescoes, ceramics and paintings on wood from the 15th and 16th centuries that tell the story of Renaissance art: works commissioned by the Malatesta family, lords of Rimini, such as Giovanni Bellini's famous Pietà and the Pala by Domenico Ghirlandaio.
A 14th century fresco called "the Last Judgement", which once hung on a wall over the triumphal arch in Sant'Agostino Church, can be admired in the conference room .
The painting is the work of artists from Rimini who were perhaps led by Giuliano and Giovanni da Rimini.
Also on the first floor of the building is the Medieval section which contains 300 finds, sculptures, illuminated codices and other works of art, such as some important masterpieces of the 14th century Rimini school and of Malatestian Humanism.
On the second floor art and sculpture produced in Rimini between the 17th and the 19th centuries are on display together with the works of famous artists including Guido Cagnacci, Il Centino, Il Guercino, Simone Cantarini and Giovan Battista Costa .
After 2000 years, the archaeological site of the Surgeon’s Domus has open to the public under an enormous crystal glass covering next to the City Museum. A little Pompeii in the city centre, which has already become famous in the world owing to its unique archaeological finds and to one of the richest surgical and pharmaceutical equipment of the ancient time, now kept in the museum.
The archaeological area in Piazza Ferrari came to light in 1989, during work on the municipal gardens. The chance unearthing of a number of Roman ruins was followed, up to 2006, by systematic excavations. Preliminary probes and stratigraphic excavations have brought to light an area covering a surface measuring more than 700 square metres.
In addition other finds of archaeological interest were unearthed, i.e. traces of flooring made of crushed potsherd fragments probably dating from a Late Republic period dwelling, as well as evidence of Early Medieval settlement, remains of several buildings from the 16th - 18th centuries, including a number of stone wells and corn silos originally belonging to the churches of San Patrignano and the Religious House of the "Convertite" (a charitable order of nuns looking after penitent prostitutes).
All the uncovered remains, preserved on a site museum basis, provides the picture of exceptional historical and urban stratification bearing witness to 2000 years of local history.
Source: local Staff Rimini